The Mediterranean Programme for International Environmental Law and Negotiation (MEPIELAN CENTRE) is an international research and vocational Centre of Panteion University. It was established in 2008 within Panteion
University to provide a new enhanced framework for the activities conducted under the auspices of MEPIELAN CENTRE,
a successful multi-fold international programme on cross-border seminars, research and publication of scientific series of studies.
It is headed by International Law Prof. Evaggelos Raftopoulos and supported by the Mediterranean Action Plan / United Nations Environment Programme - MAP/UNEP and the Ministry for the Environment, Physical Planning and Public Works.
MEPIELAN CENTRE is administered by a Board of Directors consisting of the following members: -Evaggelos Raftopoulos, Professor of International Law – President and Director –Harisios Tagaras, Professor of European Law - Member – Grigoris Tsaltas, Professor of International Law - Member –Constantine Arvanitopoulos, Associate Professor of International Relations - Member – Students’ Representative – Member
The Centre’s administration is assisted by an International Advisory Body, which consists of two categories of members:
- The Co-ordinator of the Mediterranean Action Plan/United Nations Environment
- Programme registered in Athens
- A European Union delegate
- A Council of Europe delegate
- An IMO delegate
- A delegate of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- Representatives of Universities and Research Centres officially associated with MEPIELAN CENTRE.
- Five elected members (distinguished academics with international experience).
MEPIELAN CENTRE Mission and Objectives
- To conduct innovative research and provide up-to-date education in matters of international law regarding environment and sustainable development, focusing on the Mediterranean area, as well as in matters of international negotiation.
- To promote an interdisciplinary approach to international law and international relations for an integrated understanding of environmental governance regimes, especially those applying in the Mediterranean area.
- To develop a co-operation in the sectors of research, education and training, with similar university and research institutes in Greece, Mediterranean, Europe, USA, Canada and elsewhere.
- To co-operate with international, regional and national organizations of key importance, such as with Non-Governmental Organizations including the Mediterranean Action Plan for the United Nations Environmental Program (MAP/UNEP), the European Community, the Council of Europe, the International Maritime Organization, the World Health Organization and the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
- To develop co-operation with the Secretariats of Conventional Regimes for Environment, similar or relevant to the Barcelona Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment and Coastal Region of the Mediterranean.
- To organize international training seminars and international conferences for the promotion of scientific dialogue and the development of research expertise in current matters of the International and Community Environmental Law and Policy, focusing on the Mediterranean and the international environmental negotiation and diplomacy.
- To organize international workshops and seminars for promoting knowledge regarding international agreements of environmental governance concerning Greece, for the purpose of their effective promotion, dissemination and application.
- To actively contribute to the scientific establishment of the Greek translation of terms, concepts and texts of international environmental agreements.
- To enhance and support undergraduate and postgraduate courses of the International and European Studies Department of Panteion University at all levels.
- To promote sensitization and awareness of public opinion and media regarding the international environmental agreements.
- To conduct research studies and provide advisory services
MEPIELAN CENTRE Strategic Programme Fields
- Environmental Governance Regimes
- Environmental Diplomacy and International Environmental Negotiation Process
- Trade, Environment and Sustainable Development
- Cultural Heritage
- Water Resources Management
- Environment, Sustainable Development and Energy Resources Management
- Maritime Transports and Environment
- Environmental Safety
- Integrated Management of Coastal Areas in the Mediterranean
- Climatic Changes and Effects on Human Security
- Human Rights and Surrounding Human Resources
MEPIELAN CENTRE Activities:
- Arranges the publication of MEPIELAN CENTRE
Studies in International Environmental Law and Negotiation, which started in 2004 and aims at the promotion of a multidisciplinary approach to the international law of environment and the innovative international scientific knowledge in that field.
- Maintains and develops its extensive website
which has been an internationally acknowledged site of scientific information since 2002 and disseminates valid scientific information through any expedient means.
- Maintains and expands its library and archives.
- Prepares and carries out research programs and studies or other initiatives, either alone or in co-operation with institutes and entities in Greece and abroad.
- Organizes courses, seminars, conferences and other scientific events of international nature, taught by internationally acknowledged academics, experts and international officers co-operating with MEPIELAN CENTRE.
136 Syngrou Avenue –17671 Athens
T: 210-9201841 – F: 210-9610591